Thursday, January 08, 2015

Mocking religion

In 2006, when the Danish cartoons of Muhammad were first published, I wrote a post about the violent reaction against them: Violence and cartoons.

Here's one paragraph:
The other thing that offends me is the idea that religion and religious people should be shielded from mockery or otherwise offensive speech. As I've said before, religion, like anything else, is open for criticism, mockery, etc. I don't like it when people mock practices and beliefs that I consider sacred, but that is part of what it means to live in a free society. If Christopher Hitchens writes an article denouncing a particular practice associated with Jewish circumcision, I don't think he should be told to shut up because it might offend my religious sensibilities. Why has religion come to acquire this quality that it is above criticism?

No comments:

Post a Comment